Thursday 1 September 2011

Unexpected summer


Tomorrow I’m going back to Barcelona, after spending the hall summer in Torquay.
I have to say, that I’m quite sad about going back home, because this has been –unexpectedly- the best experience of my life: I’ve loved living in a charming place like Torquay, with its beautiful parks, cute quarters, friendly and helpful people, amusing night life, interesting art exhibitions and, of course, delicious food (particularly Devon cream tea and fish and chips at Babbacombe), …

Also, I’ve been very lucky to live with a nice and homely family and to meet incredible people that I’ll never forget. Moreover, I’ve travelled around the area and fall in love with every single town and city I have visited: Brixham (where I ate the famous crab sandwich in a terrace at the harbour), Dartmouth (a place to get lost through its narrow streets and art galleries), Exeter (which has one of the most beautiful cathedrals I’ve ever seen), Plymouth (with its adorable old quarter of Barbican), Bath (with its honey-coloured stone Georgian buildings and elegant streets) and Bristol (which captivated me with its artsy vibe).

And finally, another reason that makes me not want to leave Torquay is the place where I’ve been working as an intern: the Torbay Council’ Arts&Culture Department. They gave me the opportunity to participate in amazing projects and events around Torbay: the Cockington Court Summer exhibition “Art on the English Riviera”, the painting exhibition at Torre Abbey “Death and The Maiden” by Robert Lenkiewicz, the opening of a new contemporary studio workspace at Lupton House, the Children’s Festival that took place in Paignton...
I am infinitely grateful for today’s unexpected sun. After three months here, I went to the beach for the first time and finally touch the water! Surprisingly it felt quite warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment